Tuesday 24 September 2019

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #79 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

9-11am Practical Experiences In Programming Practical

Today is the longest day in the introduction week but it felt shorter than it was. First off, it was raining cats and dogs in the morning to the extent that every man, woman and child had a gigantic black umbrella to shield them. I, on the other hand, braved it all with nothing and arrived to my practical soaking wet.

Anyway, the practicals for this module always occur before the lecture for some bizarre reason so today’s lab just consisted of some warm up Java exercises. The module itself teaches C++ and Scala but I guess they just wanted students to get back in the saddle nice and easy (especially if you were someone like me who didn’t do any programming over the summer).

Apart from that we also had to set up our Github repositories for the module’s coursework and do a plagiarism and collusion quiz just as a reminder of what’s acceptable behaviour whilst completing the coursework.

12-3pm Practical Experiences In Programming Lecture

After the morning’s lab followed a one-hour free period which in hindsight, could’ve been used more productively to do some coursework. However, since it’s only the first week back I think I’ll let it slide.

Unlike yesterday’s lecture which finished early, this lecture actually took an hour longer than timetabled. Lectures are normally 2 hours followed by an hour’s tutorial however, this lecture simply went on for the whole 3-hour session.

After the course overview, it went through the basics of C++ which looked pretty doable but I doubt it will be that easy once I actually start coding my coursework. In contrast to yesterday’s Internet history lecture, this was actually useful content that you need to know so there was something to keep my eyes open.

This module is actually 100% coursework so it’s a good idea to keep on top of your work as the semester progresses and say bye-bye to cramming and last minute revision.

3-4pm Year 2 Re-Introduction lecture

Last but definitely not least was the annual introduction lecture. At first it seemed like the were just regurgitating last year’s lecture about basic student and admin stuff but then it went on to talk about the Year in Industry (YIN) program which caught my interest.

I’m currently enrolled on the integrated masters course but after today’s lecture, I’m genuinely thinking of switching to the YIN course. After all, if you want to work in industry after graduation then this is the way forward.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...