Thursday 4 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #8 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

Contrastingly to day 7, today was great. I got to university on time, the lectures weren’t a complete waste of time like yesterday’s practical and best of all, I attended a placement networking night which gave me a pretty good idea of what I want to do in the immediate future after graduating.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves and break down the day, as usual, bit by bit. The first lecture was an hour long and since it was on programming it went reasonably quick. NB not all computer science students love programming, but it is a large chunk of the discipline itself.

After a 1 hour break in which I didn’t use as productively as intended, followed the typical 3 hour contact period. 2 hours of a lecture on Foundations of Computing followed by a 1 hour tutorial. 

Speaking of tutorials, today’s timetabled actually scheduled one in the morning between 9 and 10am but we specifically got an email stating that it’s an optional “surgery” (whatever that means).

Obviously, 9am starts are every students nightmare and since I already done the worksheet for the tutorial due to previous knowledge, there honestly was no point in going. With that said, the lecturer did say she was surprised how half the cohort ended being there particularly since in previous years the numbers were significantly lower.

On to the lecture itself. I expected a reasonably repetitive lecture with content I had already learnt but to a pleasant surprise, I was wrong. Most of the material was somewhat unfamiliar with the occasional accustomed content.

This was also the first time (excluding the time on the very first day of the very first lecture) I intentionally sat at the back of the theatre. It was a fascinating experience indeed. Firstly, the guy to my right completely knocked out as soon as the lecture started until the 1 hour mark where a 10 minute break is customary.

Secondly, sitting at the back had more leg room than anticipated which was a plus and it wasn’t too hard to concentrate on the lecture either contrary to popular opinion. That’s also subject to the people around so for instance, if you’ve got neighbours sleeping and students in the row ahead playing games on their PCs or shopping at amazon then that’s a whole different kettle of fish.

Regardless, I was unfazed by my distracted peers since new content is often enjoyable when you’ve been hearing the same stuff in lectures that you already knew. Sadly though, this is also the first time that I left a lecture early to get to the placement networking night. Don’t get me wrong it was definitely worth it but it’s not something I ever thought I’d do.

As far as the remainder of the day was concerned, my routine was simply to go to every stall at the placement night, take advantage of all the freebies available and most important of all, ask them the million dollar (or pound should I say) question: Does one set themselves up for employment better with an integrated master’s degree or a bachelor’s degree with a year in industry.

For apparent reasons, one would think the latter is more attractive in the eyes of companies since it builds actual experience in industry; something a master’s student would be completely unaware of (unless extracurricular experienced was gained of course).

There lies the conundrum indeed. Some company representatives said the former whilst others the latter and some suggested it depends on the company which wasn’t helpful at all. 

Logically speaking, a master’s is more prestigious since only the most academic of students can complete such a rigorous course but you wouldn’t be wrong in thinking a year in industry is difficult hence showing several transferable skills of students which could make them more attractive employment wise.

I could go on to justify both sides but to be honest, I myself am still a bit puzzled so I’ll just leave the aforementioned arguments above. That’s all for today, be sure to check out tomorrow’s blog on day 8!

A was just about to end this post and a fellow commuter just sat next to me with the whiplash film on his phone. And it’s on the best scene as well! Yeah, you know which one I’m talking about. Just an interesting occurrence.

Hope this helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...