Wednesday 3 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #6 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

Before I start day 6’s post I just want to give some quick advice to my fellow commuters. Don’t leave at the last minute. Ever. If I were to summarise this in a theorem of sorts the simple formula would be the longer you have to travel, the more time you should leave for error. 

For instance, if your journey takes 5 minutes then leave a margin of 10% for error i.e. 5 minutes and 30 seconds to be exact.

However, if your journey is supposed to take 1 hour long, do not leave 1 hour to complete your journey. You should be leaving an hour and 6 minutes to get to your destination. This was basically my case, on day 7 which is today but I won’t get into too much detail for day 6’s post. Bottom line is, leave earlier than you need to.

Moving on to day 6. The first period of contact was supposed to be a 3pm lecture but our personal tutor who was in Barcelona doing research last week, had to reschedule the discussion we were supposed to have last Tuesday. Anyway, he also happens to be the lecturer for Elementary Logic with Applications so that was convenient.

I guess it’s synonymous for all personal tutors to be nice but then again, none of us had met him in person before so maybe he’s just nice always. Or, it could be a deceitful façade (just kidding). The premise of the discussion itself was immaterial in many ways since it’s all just admin stuff we’ve been told before.

Additionally, my group (which was about 16 students including me) was very quiet so I had to do most of the talking. All in all, it was mostly a one sided conversation; almost like a lecture but occasionally some brave soul had the courage to ask a question.

Following the 30 minute discussion there was a 90 minute break till the 3pm lecture which was utilised very well if I do say so myself. The majority of the time was primarily used for emails and other things like studying (that’s a thing, right?).

The purportedly 3 hour lecture on Computer Systems was actually masquerading as a 2 hour lecture and a 1 hour tutorial. This actually happens a lot, but the 2 hour lecture ended up being around 90 minutes which meant staying for the tutorial (was is optional if you need extra support) meant waiting half an hour.

Me being me, I pretty much done the tutorial worksheet so decided to beat the rush hour traffic on the way home and leave early. I think I’ve mentioned this as well before but if you can do all the work in a tutorial beforehand, do it and save yourself an hour or so.

The difference in time, cost and convenience between a journey in peak hours and one outside said hours is truly amazing. There I was in the morning rush, struggling to get a seat on the train and now here I am with essentially the entire train to myself.

That’s all for today, be sure to check out day 7’s blog tomorrow InShaAllah!


Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...