Tuesday 2 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #5 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

Day 5 was the first day of the second week of the first semester (boy, that's a mouthful). Anyway, it being a Monday didn't really help especially considering my timetable is the most busy on Monday's. 

Well in truth, it's not the most busy but it's definitely the longest day I have in the week. Yep, the dreaded 9am to 6pm day. As mentioned in my previous blog, my futile attempt to change my timetable was... well, futile. 

If the commute won't kill you psychologically, then the day itself will. Not to say by any means that the classes are boring or anything but the length of the day is overwhelming to say the least.

First came the 2 hour lecture on Programming Practice and Applications which despite teaching a language completely unfamiliar to me (Java via BlueJ), was quite elementary. This goes without saying that once you grasp the basic concepts of programming in one language you can pick up pretty much any other language in a week or two.

It can be surprisingly easy to get distracted if you think you already know everything in the lecture so a seat in one of the front rows is highly recommended for A level Computer Science students.

Then, as last week, followed the 4 hour break in which I wasn't quite as productive as intended but hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have developed a productive means to utilise these hours.

At 3pm, we had a lecture and a tutorial for Elementary Logic with Applications. I say lecture and tutorial since the entire 3 hour "session" is split into two parts of 2 hours and 1 hour respectively. A good idea is to familiarise with the content of the lecture beforehand even if you think you know it (yes, I'm talking to you my fellow "CompScis").

I had already completed the tutorial worksheet so during the tutorial I just approached one of the teaching assistants to go through the answers with me. This might seem counter intuitive since the whole point of the tutorial is to go through the worksheet but one save that vital hour and simply do it at home. I would recommend it if you can do it of course but I digress.

That's all for for today, be sure to check out tomorrow's post on day 6!

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...