Monday 24 September 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #1 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

The first day (which hasn't even finished at the time of writing) has been busy to say the least. I arrived 5 minutes late to my first lecture which was on programming practice and applications which was annoying since I'm usually quite punctual. Anyways, actual teaching didn't even begin until the second hour so it didn't matter much. 

Even more interesting was that the lecturer or professor should I say, announced that lectures actually start 5 minutes later than what is scheduled on the timetable and also finishes 5 minutes earlier. So, in actuality a 2 hour lecture is only 1 hour and 40 minutes discounting those 10 minutes and the 10 minutes break time at the hour mark.

The lecture itself was definitely more interesting than the induction lectures since it had information which was actually useful. Although, having done A level Computer Science did make some of it repetitive which will probably be a recurring theme throughout the first year.

Ironically, the projector actually failed about halfway through the lecture so the remaining hour had to be delivered without a screen which was extremely annoying since we were learning to use BlueJ (an IDE to write Java for the uninitiated). A positive was that the lecture ended half an hour early but it's the first week of the year so not a lot of actual teaching goes on, mostly just admin stuff.

Then followed a 4 hour break which I'm still in so I guess I'll just do a part 2 post for the second part of the day. Alternatively, I could just save this bit and write the rest of the train home but I digress.

Immediately after the lecture ended, everyone went to the library hoping to get all the reading list books for free and that meant it turned out to be a race more than anything. There were only around 30 copies of the core textbooks and about 500 students or so taking the course so they ran out pretty quick. Luckily, I did manage to get my core copies but renewing them every week is not something I look forward to.

As far as the rest of the time spent during this unusually large break is concerned, you could say most of it was spent walking between buildings or at least it felt like most of it. This actually brings me back to the aforementioned point on why lectures start/end 5 minutes after/before the scheduled times because the buildings are quite some distance apart. But for now, I finally rest in the library waiting for the next lecture to begin.

I've decided to change my mind about splitting the post into 2 parts and will just continue this post like nothing happened (even though I'm at home now). The lecture at 3pm after the 4 hour break was the introductory lecture on the Elementary Logic with Applications module.

Again, we didn't do much learning since all the lecture content was just an overview of the module and whatnot. Logic itself is quite an abstract topic so the lecture can get quite challenging but, and this is the key for all lectures, looking at the content beforehand makes a world of difference.

The lecture ended an hour and half earlier than scheduled since this is the first week I guess which was great in fact since it meant my day could end at 4:30pm instead of 6pm. As a side note I must confess, I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon one a lot more than the morning lecture.

Anyways, I guess that's all for today. Be sure to check tomorrow's blog InShaAllah

Hope this helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...