Sunday 23 September 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #0

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

This is a brand new series which is quite self explanatory in the title that I will be updating everyday till I graduate InShaAllah. This first entry is for day "0" since term hasn't started yet so I thought I'd cover the induction day as well.

There are loads of events in welcome week, some obligatory and some useless so the key is to pick the ones that you'll actually be interested in by reading the event descriptions. I'll be honest, I wasn't keen to visit any event that wasn't compulsory so I just had to book those ones strategically so that I would only have to go one day.

You may find spreading them out over the week is more beneficial but since I didn't live on campus and the commute was seriously exhausting (not to mention expensive) I decided to get everything done in one day.

So here was my schedule for the day:

  • 10:00-11:00 Undergraduate induction
  • 11:30-12:30 Undergraduate Computer Science Information Session 
  • 13:00-14:00 Life at University Induction
  • 14:00-15:00 Collect Student ID Card
It's safe to say there was far too much information given during those sessions but thankfully the slides used for them were uploaded online so you could give them another read. 

If one were to be brutally honest, the inductions weren't really worth attending for the most part since the professors were essentially reading off the slides and who can blame them, it was very boring indeed.

The only absolutely essential event for the day was collecting my ID card which only took about 2 minutes since there was no queue. All in all, the day did present many benefits but also had several disadvantages. Did I regret going? Not really, I got to know the "ins and outs" of the building I'd be spending most of my course in so that was helpful amongst other things. 

Anyway that's all for today, be sure to keep an eye out for tomorrow's post with the actual first day of university.

Hope this helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...