Saturday 30 December 2017

The Inspiration Behind My Resources: (Almost) All The Algorithms You Need To Know For OCR A Level Computer Science

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

After the The Ultimate OCR A Level Computer Science Dictionary, the next resource I made was (Almost) All The Algorithms You Need To Know For OCR A Level Computer Science.

There wasn't really a direct inspiration from a specific resource for this one but what made me make this was the need to have all the algorithms in the spec all in one place. I also realised that the textbooks and revision guides I was using were simply inadequate since they didn't have all of the algorithms needed, let alone in one place.

Finding the "right" version of the algorithms was really tricky as well since different textbooks used different programming languages to write their algorithms. Unlike the old spec, the new spec exams don't require you to know how to code in specific languages (apart from a bit of LMC, SQL, HTML, CSS & JavaScript of course).

I decided it would be best to use pseudocode to write the algorithms in my resource as it's the easiest and most convenient way for everyone. Anyway, the spec just mentions the algorithms in it's typical vague fashion without specifying if you have to know them or be able to implement them. 

My advice is to get loads of practice writing algorithms by doing past paper questions from the old spec programming papers which you can access here.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...