Friday 1 February 2019

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #56 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

Well, I’m a week behind. Anyways, I think I’ll take this opportunity to shed some light on group projects. Firstly, the last thing you want to do is work with your friends. I know that may seem counterintuitive but, this isn’t school anymore.

Your grades count for a lot and unless your friends are very organised and hardworking, there is little to no point in working with them. I know it may seem harsh, but you have to do what’s best for you, even if it isn’t the most politically correct thing to do.

Obviously, observe the niceties when telling said friends that you don’t want to work with them and since they’re your friends, they’ll understand. Simples. Why am I telling you this? Well, it’s because for my software engineering group project I decided that my friends would be a good option to work with and initially I had no regrets.

However, the plot thickens. The first meeting was scheduled and then one person out of the 6 cancelled in the last minute. We had a room booked and everyone agreed on the time but for the most nonsensical reason, one of our members decided not to come on the day.

Now, I’m willing it to let it slide since it’s a friend and we can always catch up. But, if this were to happen again I wouldn’t be as forgiving. It’s only the first year so I guess you can get away with by choosing your friends but for the second-year group project, last-minute cancellations can have more severe consequences.

So, that’s my advice. Unless you know your friends are hardworking etc., you’re better off not working with them.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...