Friday 5 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #9 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

Today's post isn't even supposed to happen yet since I'm still in my 6 hour break but the wait has begun to make me feel a bit uneasy for some reason, I can't put my finger on it. For now, at least I'll divulge all that occurred on this day to take my mind off things.

I'm not going to say today was a bad day but I have to mention the fact that my phone did not charge at all last night which meant my battery display had one less 0 then the ideal 100%. 

For normal days, 10% would be bearable since I pretty much know the ins and outs of my route but with today's tutorial in a completely unfamiliar room, I was panicking inside.  

Second of all, there was a train strike so that really got things off to a great start. My usual route would normally take around an hour (under or over depending on the time of day) but today's improvised route actually took my a gruelling hour and 40 minutes. I expect the same for the journey home.

Anyway, I arrived at the station next to campus which is about a 5-10 minute walk based on your walking speed. I wasn't exactly late but I did have to quicken the pace to more than a casual stroll. I arrived late to the actual building of the tutorial and then the worst happened.

I couldn't find the room! You'd think nearly 2 weeks in I'd have the decency to study my timetable enough to know the exact locations of each room but no, I thought it would be simple. The maze which some refer to as a campus was so confusing that a fellow CompSci student was also lost but had a different class to me so was of no use.

Actually, now that I think of it she did tell me where I was supposed to go but I must've been so annoyed for being late that I completely forgot her act of kindness. I finally arrived at the end of the maze where the classroom was and guess what? The tutor didn't even show up, no doubt due to the train strike.

I was to some extent relieved that I didn't miss anything but also annoyed how I struggled to get here in the morning and after the tutorial I'd have a 6 hour break which I'm still in right now. In sixth form, situations like this would be rejoiced since it meant a free period but at university your attitude changes a bit.

No, I wasn't sad that I missed out on learning since the department would reschedule it anyway (which they actually did after I handed a paper register of all the students present in). I guess I had mixed emotions but anyway, I waited till the 9:30 mark and then boldly decided to take a paper register of the class and leave, thus extending my 6 hour break by half an hour.

The break itself was mostly productive despite me being half asleep essentially. I mean, 7 hours is decent but I'm more of an 8 hour person so it's not ideal on a 9am to 6pm day. At least with all the work done in this tedious break I can go home and relax but for now, I await my final lecture of the week.


I think I’ve experienced the first instance of numerous inevitabilities at university, a lecture where I had positively no clue what was going on. I sit at the front so naturally, that should make things easier. 

However, when basically the whole cohort is talking in the background (which I thought was quite disrespectful) and the lecturer has an extremely strong accent then you’ve got no chance.


I was looking forward to a weekend of relaxation but now it’s going to be full of work which should have been understood in the lecture. Obviously, these occurrences happen a lot for hard subjects such as computer science so I guess I’ll just have to get used to it.

On an encouraging note, my fellow first row students also confessed to having understood nothing. Nevertheless, I must dedicate all my time to make sense of this during the weekend and since I’ve finished quite a substantial amount of work during my 6 hour break, that should be viable.

“This train is being delayed due to adverse weather conditions”. Did I just hear that correctly? That’s completely nonsensical. It’s clear as day outside (well, technically it’s the evening) and for no reason the train decided to delay itself. Like the strike today wasn’t bad enough.

I think I’m going to end it here before I let my emotions get the better of me. All in all, it could’ve been a better day.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...