Wednesday 17 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #14 (ADITLOAKCCS)


As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu World!

Day 14 was a Monday which by default meant it wouldn’t be the best of days, not because of it being a Monday but because of the way my timetable is on Mondays. Start off with a 9am lecture on programming for 2 hours then comes the ridiculous 4 hour break followed by a 2 hour lecture with the standard 1 hour tutorial on Elementary Logic that ends at 6pm.

The day itself wasn’t too bad but the timings of the day just bug me a little. Sometimes, it’s actually beneficial if I’m “in the zone” so I use those 4 hours doing some intense work. But, yesterday was not one of those days.

Regardless, the lectures themselves were pretty OK. The main highlight of the day is that we finally got our first programming assignment which contributes to our final grade. I don’t know why, but I really wanted to get this coursework out of the way.

Ah, now I remember. On the long weekend I had prior to yesterday (due to Friday being off) I got quite a bit of work done. In fact, instead of just reviewing what I learnt during the week, I actually read ahead to the content of the commencing week.

There’s also another assessed coursework for the logic module coming up on Wednesday which should be interesting. I imagine it’s basically a test but since it’s not an actual exam, you can use your notes or whatever for it.

The other 2 modules this semester don’t really have any explicit coursework yet. Well, the computer systems module periodically uses “pre lab quizzes” to make sure we know the required info going into practicals. These count towards the final module grade as well but for the foundations of computing module, nothing has been assigned so far.

Anyway, I worked out earlier that I only have 22 days with contact hours in this half of the semester which is only 32 days in duration (including weekends). That may seem like a lot at first but given that most days I only come in for a couple of hours it’s actually quite surprising how little teaching is done.

That’s all for today, be sure to check out day 15’s post!

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...