Wednesday 10 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #12 (ADITLOAKCCS)


As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu World!

Today was surprisingly very good given the fact that the rescheduled tutorial meant I had to stay an extra 5 hours. Normally staying an extra minute is very painful for me, I like to go home as soon as possible.

On this occasion however, I was quite happy to stay since it’s a lot easier to get work done at university than at home. The morning’s programming practical was reasonably fruitful as well. I kept to myself pretty much and got an unexpected amount of work done, although I wish I had done more.

The 3 hour break between the practical and the tutorial is where the most work materialised. Believe it or not, the environment in which one works in makes a massive difference. There I was coding for about 90 minutes in a study area where I was pretty much alone.

But then, the other 90 minutes were interrupted by a couple of students who decided to sit opposite me. They talked a lot which at first, didn’t faze me at all but then I pretty much gave up. I need to find an extremely unknown area where I won’t be disturbed.

The library, despite being noise free essentially can be distracting as well sometimes. Anyway, onto the replacement Foundations of Computing tutorial. The tutor was actually the same one I have for Elementary Logic which was great since he explains things so well.

I honestly don’t see the point of lectures anymore. Only 2 weeks in and they’ve already proven their redundancy to me. A 1 hour tutorial is far more beneficial than a drab 2-3 hour lecture. It remains a complete mystery to me why universities still consider lectures a thing especially with lecture capture. 

Sure, you can ask questions but can’t you do that anyway? Before I finish off I’d like to advice fellow CompScis that coding on that long train journey not only makes the journey seem faster, but you also get quite a bit of programming work out of the way.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...