Thursday 24 August 2017

The Ultimate OCR A Level Computer Science Dictionary (version 2.0)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!

Version 2.0 of "The Ultimate OCR A Level Computer Science Dictionary" is finally here! No idea why I use decimals for the version numbers since I am using and will most likely continue using only whole number increases for each iteration of this resource. 

I personally like to think H046/H446 spec as 80% theoretical knowledge and 20% practical knowledge. Disregarding the Programming Project, the 2 exams are heavily theory based (although arguably far less than the previous H047/H447 spec for OCR A level Computing). In the new linear exams, the questions are not as straightforward as in the old exams of the previous spec however, this shouldn't really be a problem for someone who knows their stuff. 

The practical side of the exams have changed quite a bit since the previous spec's exams. Programming is no longer limited to the "Programming Techniques & Logical Methods" equivalent of the linear exams. On the contrary, programming questions appear in both exams which does make things tougher for people who struggle with writing and reading algorithms. The best solution to improving these skills is simply practice, practice, practice. I do plan to make a resource regarding this as well InShaAllah but for the time being, past papers are by far the best resource for practicing your programming. 

Anyways, so what did I add in this version I hear you ask? Well, I thought numbering the number of definitions in this resource would be a great idea for someone trying to memorise X amount of definitions per day. There are precisely 237 definitions so if someone wanted to learn a few definitions a day, they could do so easily with the new numbering system.  

As aforementioned in the previous blog post regarding this resource, I have "tweaked" the wording of most of the definitions to make them more user friendly and now InShaAllah everyone can read and understand the definitions with ease. 

I also wanted to make a contents list so locating definitions regarding different topics easier to find (even though this resource is only 19 pages) but I think that will be included in version 3.0 InShaAllah. I have a few more ideas for version 3.0 to make this resource even better InShaAllah but I don't want to spoil it all in this blog post. With that said, don't expect version 3.0 to come out tomorrow, it will most likely come out in the next few days InShaAllah but for my next blog post I want to do something different.

Enough talk, time to deliver the goods, spill the beans and walk the walk so to speak.

Here's the link: The Ultimate OCR A Level Computer Science Dictionary (v2.0)

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...