Monday 8 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #10 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu World!

10 days of university so far and by my count, I “only” have about 110 days to go. I don’t mean this in the sense that I’m actually counting the days down already, but I just wanted to calculate how much tuition does one even get for £9000 a year.

It turns out (and this is obviously variable depending on the university and whatnot) that university tuition only occurs for a third of the year. The rest of the year you have holidays and who’s complaining but you also have exams as well.

Let’s suppose that one attains 20 hours of tuition a week tops. 120ish days means about 17 weeks. That translates to around 340 hours of tuition a year. So, most people will have less than this amount but even if you are the minority with 20 hours a week, you’re paying nearly £30 an hour! For the average student, it will be £30 an hour at the very least.

Now that I think about it, that seems sort of reasonable given that driving instructors make at least £20 an hour. However, since tuition fees used to be only £3000 a year in the good old days, this is outrageous quite frankly.

So, technically speaking one could actually complete the standard 3 year degree in only one year if one was so inclined. I, for one would take that opportunity with no hesitation. Too bad it doesn’t exist.

Universities aren’t content until they squeeze every last penny of that grand total of £27k before giving you a bachelor’s degree but I digress. Let’s get into what this post is actually about, day 10. 

In actuality, I can’t even start this blog since I haven’t even reached university yet but writing on the train definitely makes the journey seem 10 times quicker. Plus, it takes my mind off things.

What I can tell you is that despite leaving later than intended, I actually arrived at the station earlier than expected which was very surprising indeed. Anyway, I think I have 10 stops to go so anything could go wrong.

I think it’s also due to the fact that if I don’t blog, I’m continually looking at my watch and making all sorts of calculations. The integral question of course, is am I going to be late? 

I’ve already been late so I’m not too bothered by the notion of arriving to a lecture theatre late, even if there’s approximately 500 students in it. Better late than never right?

Well, I’ve just had my first lecture of the day and it went pretty smoothly aside from the fact that the normal lecturer wasn’t there. The “substitute” was an actual lecturer as well and he done a pretty good job. In fact, the lecture was more interactive than usual since we had to do a few exercises for once.

Tutorials are so much more useful than lectures. Let's face it, after lecture capture lectures have become obsolete. I had a tutorial at 1pm on Elementary Logic with Applications and a lecture on the same module at 3pm and I definitely know which one helped the most.

That's all for today, be sure to check out tomorrow's post InShaAllah!

Hope this helps!



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...