Thursday 25 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #20 (ADITLOAKCCS)


As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu World!

The amount of A level repetition in your average computer science degree can be both relieving and mind-numbing at the same time. One hand, I’m more than happy to know everything that is being said in a lecture but on the other hand, I feel like I could be learning something new.

Maybe it’s because A level computer science isn’t really a popular subject so most students don’t take it therefore implying the need to go over it in the degree. However, a lot of people I’ve met are in the same boat as me which is refreshing in some ways.

My contention is, once A level computer science gains some more popularity (the chances of which would be greatly if exam boards *cough* OCR would write a decent specification), universities should list it as a requirement to have it as part of their offer.

I know this wouldn’t be ideal for some since a few universities already require maths and further maths meaning their A level choice would practically be made automatically should they wish to apply to said unis.

However, doing A level computer science should mean the course will be completely new and by default, be shorter. Since A level content is already mastered to some degree by successful applicants, the standard bachelors course could be only 2 years with a year abroad or in industry. How about that huh?

Instead, you basically waste nearly a whole year revisiting stuff you already know and then have to take an optional sandwich year to do a year in industry or go abroad. Or even better, those with A level computer science could be offered the opportunity to do a masters in 3 years.

These are just my ideas but knowing the UK education system, it’s highly unlikely this would ever happen. If unis did require computer science at A level, they’d just add harder stuff to the course which is fine I guess, but slightly unnecessary.

Anyway, onto the day itself. Oh yeah, it was just a 2 hour lecture coupled with the usual 1 hour tutorial for the computer systems module and guess what was being taught? Binary! Simple binary arithmetic that’s even mentioned in GCSE courses so I guess you can see where I’m coming from.

Can’t really say much more apart from the fact that reading week is edging even closer and I can’t wait for it.


Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...