Monday 15 October 2018

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #13 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu World!

Boy has it been a while since I blogged one of these. Partially due to the fact that I had no contact hours on Friday so I put off writing Thursday's post for even longer. Anyway, let's get day 13 underway.

So first thing in the morning I had a Computer Systems practical for 2 hours and guess what? I was late, and by late I don't mean like the time when the train strike happened which made me late by a mere 10-15 minutes. This time I was over an hour late.

Why, I hear you ask. Well, it's simply because a smart person like me didn't set my alarm so I ended up oversleeping. I woke up at like 8:40am! Some people are at university by that time for 9am starts. 

So, me being me, I didn't bother rushing since the earliest I would arrive if I left immediately would be 10am. I took my time and arrived at about 10:15 which in normal circumstances would have some consequences but luckily for me, our class got assigned the wrong lab for the practical.

Basically, the PCs didn't run Linux so coding the assembly file for the practical was pretty much impossible unless you downloaded an alternative AVR to cater for your specific machine's OS.

Without getting too complicated, most people don't even bring their laptops into university and the ones that did just decided to do the program later so I actually ended up missing nothing.

Then I had a 2 hour break till my Programming Practice lecture which I wisely spent trying to do the assembly file for the disaster of a practical in the morning. After failing to getting the program to work on my Windows laptop (I refuse to jump on the Apple bandwagon) I just head to one of the free labs and worked on a Linux PC.

The assembly file (which actually counts as coursework towards your final grade) wasn't even difficult if I'm going to be completely honest. Anyway, I finished it just in time before the next lecture and then realised something annoying. I didn't even read the room number of the lecture (which I assumed was in the building I was) and turns out it was in a completely different room in a different building altogether.

So not only was I late for the morning's practical, I was late for that lecture too. I arrived about 15 minutes late which meant I was late for a total of an hour and a half that day. However, the perks of doing A level computer science meant I didn't miss much so I wasn't too annoyed.

The day ended with the usual Foundations of Computing 3 hour period of a 2 hour lecture with a 1 hour tutorial. Thankfully, this lecture was in the same room so there was no chance whatsoever I'd be late to it. 

The lecture went pretty smoothly, so much so I was almost tempted to stay for the subsequent tutorial but then went against my better judgement. I mean, this is the most mathematical module I'm taking so far so I should've probably stayed but then doing the exercises at home made me realise everything's still quite easy indeed.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day In The Life Of A King's College CompSci #93 (ADITLOAKCCS)

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh World!   9-11am Internet Systems lecture I know, I know. It’s been a while. In my admittedly...